See also "The Complete Angler" by Donavan Hall (@theangler)

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Free time

Last night, an extra hour of "free time" landed in my lap and in the face of such riches I was nearly paralyzed.  What should I do with this "free time"?  I knew that I should spend that valuable time reading.  But I hadn't been satisfied with my writing yesterday.  (I hadn't written in my daily notebook since the 17th!)  So I acquiesced to the compulsion to write.  Just a couple of pages, handwritten, into my daily notebook.  If nothing else, I felt better for it.

With November coming up, I'm getting that excited, anything-is-possible feeling that comes to me at the end of each October in the run up to National Novel Writing Month.  Not that I participate (in the correct way), but for ten years I have allowed myself to start a new project and type as much as I can for the thirty days of November.  Last year, I rewrote a novel instead of writing something new.  Rewriting is an essential part of the craft.

These blog posts are too long.  My intention (when I returned to blogging) was to keep the posts short and put the longer pieces on my web site.  So I'll quit here for today.  If you want to read more, follow the link.

No comments: