See also "The Complete Angler" by Donavan Hall (@theangler)

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Radical reading

Finding time to read is a constant struggle and if I leave it to "finding" then reading time often gets lost.  I have to make time to read.  I say this almost fiercely since I've had to start saying "No" to people when they ask for my time.  I don't like saying no.  And often what people are asking me to do is fun and it would be something I would do if I had an unlimited supply of time.

You're always so busy, says my mother when we chat on the weekends and I tell her about my week.  Aren't we all, I think?

I should probably spend less time writing so that I have more time to read, but the compulsion to write nearly always trumps reading.  And when I read I'll often have to break off my reading to jot some notes into my notebook.

On the off chance that you might have some spare time to read recreationally, I've posted a few items on my web site this past week.  After years of putting it off, I've written the opening lines of Cottage Industry, a book about how Mike, Yuri, and I launched a small commercial craft brewery.  I'll post the chapters in installments as I can.

Also, you'll find a post on my physics page, Without Observers.  There I write about David Bohm who started out as a Marxist.  His scientific and political ideas are sketched in an article by Olival Freire Jr which I read earlier this year.  I suggest looking at that as a starting point for my fellow physicists who might wish to think historically about their field of study.

On my writing page, I reveal that the four entry points depicted on the main page of my web site are the many doorways into a single interior labyrinth.

And this morning, I added some footnotes about radical soccer.

If all this reading makes you thirsty, then you should consider heading out to the Garden of Eve to drink some Rocky Point beer.  Cheers!

No comments: